Monday, September 11, 2017

Kale Basil Pesto Pasta


Hello Friends, 
This is my first blog post in years. Why am I starting to blog? Well, I love to cook and I have been posting many of my creations on Instagram and have been asked by several people for my recipes. Well, I usually just cook and create by what I think will be a good flavor combo. I figured it would probably be a good idea to start writing these down for my friends since they are so curious about my food!
Also, for my baby brother who just started college--Shout out to you Jay! He asked me to start keeping track of my recipes so he could eat well in Lubbock! WRECK EM!

Here is an easy place for you to go to find some home-cooked recipes, mostly created by my mind, some will be family recipes that I have tweaked and modified. 

OK so here goes my first attempt at writing a recipe. 

Ingredients: 

  • 1 lb pasta (I like anything with texture)
  • 1 large bunch of curly kale (can use dinosaur kale) (chopped and de-ribbed)
  • 2 tbsp butter (I prefer Irish Butter)
  • 1 cup half-and-half 
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 4 shallots (Chopped) 
  • 1/2 c fresh basil (chopped)
  • 2 sprigs fresh oregano (chopped)
  • 1/4 c pine nuts 
  • salt (to taste)
  • pepper (to taste)
  • Evoo
  • dash nutmeg
  • ½ c Shaved parmesan + more to add to the bowls

Boil a large pot of water for pasta. While that's starting to boil turn a large pan on medium heat. Once hot, add pine nuts and toast till golden brown.. Remove from heat. Add butter to pan and let melt. Sautee garlic and shallots. Once soft, add kale, herbs, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add water and cover. Cook until kale is soft. At this point, the water should be boiling. Salt water and add a dash of EVOO, drop pasta. Cook until al dente (Usually 7-11 minutes depending on variety of pasta). Let cook. Once done, drain and set aside. Add half and half to the kale mixture and let cook down for a few minutes (I usually do this while the pasta is cooking so it can be done simultaneously.) Add toasted pine nuts back to the pot.

 Once it’s done, use an immersion blender to create a creamy sauce. After it’s creamy, add the Parmesan cheese. Once it’s incorporated in, add pasta and stir to cover.  






Of course let your kiddo help!

Serve hot with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and I like serving with crusty bread. Enjoy! Love and Light, 
Jill
Ryan Micheal Lellis



No comments:

Post a Comment

Easy peasy Shrimp Pasta

This weekend was my sister's bachelorette party we floated the river. Being in nature is therapy. It was wonderful to disconnect fro...